The Nintendo Swap can now run Android, giving the hybrid recreation console entry to Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, Twitch, a wide selection of Android apps, and a great deal of basic recreation emulators, after all. Particularly, it’s an unofficial port of LineageOS 15.1 based mostly on Nvidia’s personal builds for the Nvidia Defend TV set-top-box, which means you may play Nvidia exclusives like Portal, Half-Life 2, and take a look at Nvidia’s personal GeForce Now cloud gaming service.
That’s proper: six years after Nvidia tried to ape Nintendo by releasing a handheld Android recreation console, now you can load Android onto Nintendo’s personal Nvidia-based transportable. We’re coming full circle.
Not every part works flawlessly, in accordance with XDA-developers, whose members contributed to the port and whose writers have been documenting it over the previous month. Whereas the Pleasure-Con controllers work natively, you may dock the Swap, and even join a Bluetooth headset — one thing Nintendo nonetheless doesn’t assist! — XDA experiences that joysticks aren’t being detected appropriately in apps like Dolphin Emulator or the Steam Hyperlink recreation streaming app, the 2 largest causes I’d need Android on this platform.
Right here’s a shortlist of different notable limitations:
- The Pleasure-Cons solely join through Bluetooth, so that they’ll all the time in wi-fi mode even when they’re bodily related
- Bluetooth headsets are restricted to older, much less power-efficient and lower-quality profiles
- There’s no video DRM, so Netflix received’t allow you to stream at HD resolutions
- The Swap doesn’t have a digicam, mic, or GPS, so plenty of Android apps are off-limits
- Whereas the USB ports allow you to plug in mice, keyboards and controllers, there’s no USB exterior storage assist
- No deep sleep mode, “so battery life just isn’t nice.”
- “WiFi might randomly cease working. If this occurs simply reboot.”
Like most such hacks, this isn’t for the faint of coronary heart. It’s usually potential to brick a tool for those who don’t know what you’re doing, and there’s a legitimate worry that Nintendo would possibly in some way uncover your tampering and ban you from on-line providers or worse. Plus, not each Nintendo Swap can essentially run a customized ROM anyhow — this one requires the Hekate bootloader, and relying in your Swap and its software program model, the methods you’d usually use to put in that may not work.
On the plus aspect, if you will get it working, XDA experiences that it received’t change your Nintendo software program and video games — so long as you’ve bought a spare SD card that’s large enough, you possibly can theoretically swap between Android and the inventory Nintendo OS everytime you like.